23.7.13

Pure Breeds: The Cornish Rex




Graydon Sheppard’s Latest Furry Subject is a Feline with a Curious Tale

Warning: The above video contains much downy fur, a pair of heterochromatic eyes, and some strong language. The viewer may witness scenes of scratching, preening and meowing. 

Writer and filmmaker Graydon Sheppard offers up the second installment of Pure Breeds, the series that celebrates the most interesting and aristocratic of pedigree pets. Following last week’s focus on the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, today the creator of the internet phenomenon Shit Girls Say looks at the Cornish Rex, the short-haired cat well-known for its intelligence, mischievous demeanor and playful nips. Experts have it that the Rex’s long legs and light build make it perfectly suited for running: it is described as “the Greyhound of the cat world” by The International Cat Association. “Cornish Rexes are like little dogs in a lot of ways,” says Sheppard. “They ran up and greeted us, unlike most cats who would usually hide under a bed if strangers came. But they’re also aloof. They don’t need your affection.”

Were there any particularly interesting challenges you met, in filming the Cornish Rex?

Graydon Sheppard:
Herding cats is always hard. The neon-rave scene was really chaotic and strange to film, a bit nightmarish to be in a dark basement with glowing cats and strobe lights. And I got a few scratches while dressed as Marilyn Manson. I don’t think any cat likes to be held against bare skin.


Why look at the Rex? Is there some personal attachment to the breed?

GS:
A good friend has a Rex named Winston, and I’ve never met a cat so immediately affectionate but independent. He’ll sit on your chest and lick your neck endlessly. After a while it starts to hurt, though.


In our last conversation we discussed Molson, the Bouvier-Shepherd cross, your family dog. (For the benefit of readers who may not yet be up to speed, Molson was named after the beer brand, and “screamed like a human”) NOWNESS would very much like to hear more about Molson, and his adventures.

GS:
Ha! I got him when I was 13, shortly after I got my first job, and could afford to buy the family Christmas presents. I was so excited and felt like a fully-actualized, adult human person. I put Molson in my room for a couple of hours. When I came back he had torn apart every single gift. There were cushions I got for my grandmother that had been ripped open and full boxes of ‘deluxe’ chocolates that he had devoured. I was very upset, but I was also a little worried that he was going to die from eating so much chocolate. In the end he was fine and my grandma was probably happy that she didn’t have to display the tacky pillows I got her.


Finally, how do you feel about costumes on pets? Do purebreds deserve that kind of special treatment, or do outfits demean an otherwise proud and noble breed?

GS:
I love costumes on pets. They’re so cute, especially on cats who look grumpy in costumes. One of my favorite GIFs is of a cat in a bee costume who looks at the camera and falls over. It’s endlessly adorable. I think that if someone feels a dog is being demeaned by getting dressed up in a super-cute outfit then they’re probably just jealous of the attention the dog’s getting. Come on prudes, join the party!