23.5.13

Never Seen Burnham



A painting becomes a video, a landscape becomes a portrait. I tried to see through his eyes. A collaboration with painter Anthony Garratt, recorded entirely in his Bristol studio. I wanted to a make a piece about a place I had never been so I worked with Anthony recording his process of making a painting of Burnham on Sea lighthouse - a place I have never been. The work consists of his three responses to the location: painting his subjective vision, his interview responses to the questions I asked while he painted and the music that his visits to Burnham had inspired him to improvise.
His generosity allowed me to create a representation of this place constructed entirely through someone else's filters. I used his responses to the landscape to create a portrait of him.